Apple’s iPhone explodes across South East Asia as O2 UK price war story grows

Apple’s iPhone is becoming the dominant device in key territories of SouthEast Asia, while in the UK carrier O2 continue to aggressively defend its iPhone franchise as price war breaks out.

O2 is planning to launch a two-year Apple iPhone tariff for £25 per month. The tariff will include 100 minutes and unlimited texts. That follows announcement of a SIM-only deal last week.

O2 has much to fight for. It has sold over 2 million iPhones in the UK, but now faces stiff competition from other carriers who have broken its once exclusive hold on UK iPhone sales. Vodafone and Orange are both seizing share, with the former company confirming 100,000 new iPhone sign-ups in the first week the product went on sale.

The impact of the Apple device continues to break waves. AdMob, one of the world’s largest and fastest growing mobile advertising networks, today released a report focused on trended manufacturer share, smartphone OS share, and the top devices in Southeast Asia, Australia, and India in Q4 2009.

The report found that smartphone penetration reached 40 percent across Southeast Asia in Q4 2009. Singapore had the highest smartphone penetration at 77 percent and Vietnam had the lowest at 22 percent. The region is seeing huge growth and is currently dominated by Nokia – with Apple now in second place.

From the report:

  • Nokia continued to be the leading manufacturer in Southeast Asia with 52 percent of requests, followed by Apple with 15 percent and Sony Ericsson with 12 percent in Q4 2009. The remaining 10 Manufacturers accounted for 21 percent of traffic.
  • Symbian OS is the most popular operating system in the region and accounted for 77 percent of smartphone requests in Q4 2009. The iPhone OS came in second with 19 percent of requests. Combined, they represented 96 percent of smartphone traffic in Southeast Asia.
  • The iPhone OS was most dominant in Australia, Singapore and Hong Kong with 93 percent, 84 percent and 76 percent, respectively, of ad requests in December 2009. These three countries are responsible for 69 percent of the region’s total iPhone traffic.

Clearly the iPhone is in prime position for Apple’s international introduction of the next-generation of its device.

Supplemental to the UK story. O2 last week made the following information available:

Tariffs for iPhone and all Smartphone customers

Customers who already have an iPhone or are just happy with their existing Smartphone can choose from a range of sim only tariffs starting at just £15 per month for 300 minutes, unlimited UK texts, data and Wi-Fi on a 12-month sim only contract, or from £20 per month on a 30-day rolling contract.

Those customers who don’t ever want to worry about how many minutes or texts or how much data they have used, O2 introduces a set of tariffs offering unlimited UK calls, texts and data from just £45 a month.

iPhone customers who want to use their iPhone as a modem can do so and not pay more than £2 per day with O2’s newest Internet Tethering Bolt On.

Tariffs for non-Smartphone customers

Non-Smartphone customers who are happy to keep their current phone can choose from a range of sim only tariffs starting at just £10 for 100 minutes per month with unlimited texts on a 30-day contract.

In addition, O2 has launched a set of tariffs offering unlimited UK calls and texts from just £40 a month.

Mobile Broadband

O2 has also launched new mobile broadband tariffs, designed for ease of use.

Customers can now choose a 1GB per month tariff with unlimited Wi-Fi on either a 30-day contract or an 18-month contract.

This is in addition to O2’s existing 3GB with unlimited Wi-Fi tariff for £15 per month. In addition, customers signing up to any 18-month 3GB mobile broadband tariff will receive their first 3 months free.

The company’s excessive usage policy and standard terms apply for all these offers, see for details.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.