On average, Android and iPhone games titles are the cheapest around while those for BlackBerry and Windows Mobile games are most expensive and Nokia tries to straddle the middle ground, the latest Distimo report explains.
The report focuses this month on the Games category in application stores from all the major players in the US. More graphs and data after the break.
The major findings are:
- Games on Windows Marketplace for Mobile and BlackBerry App World are most expensive at $4.91 and $4.60 (on average) respectively.
- The Games category on the Apple App Store with the most titles available is Puzzle.
- Games published in the Role Playing category on the Apple App Store are most expensive, averaging $7.96 per game. Most other game categories average between $1.30 and $2.60.
- 22% of the most grossing game titles in the Apple App Store were published in the Action category.
- The Arcade and Adventure categories were second and third with 12% and 9%, respectively.
Interestingly enough, although the Puzzle category is the largest games category in the Apple App Store, relatively few of these games generate enough revenue to be ranked among the top grossing game titles.